Vessel View Mobile mercury

I was researching possible telemetry options as the gauges on my 03 350 don't seem to reliable. I began looking into options after another member, ags, suggested a Bluetooth option.

It appears that the 03 8.1 mercruiser engine is equipped with the smart port feature and as such should work with mercury vessel view.

Has anyone here installed it?

It seems pretty ambiguous as to what you need with a twin engine boat. Some show the need for two junction boxes while others show only needing one in the set up.

These seem to be the correct items needed for the 8.1 engine set up.

1- VVBT 8m10115080

2- 10ft cables 84-879981T10

2- jbox 878492K14

1- jumper cable 891957K01

2- Terminator resistors 859318T1

Reactions: Doc
This is from Mercury customer service

I have twin 8.1 v drives. I have two questions, 2003

1 I am having trouble with one tachometer. I need to transport the boat home. It is possible to use the vessel view mobile on one engine only such that I have a tach for the trip home?

2, what parts do I need to install on both engines? When I get home I plan to complete the installation.

Hello Rodney -

Thank you for contacting us regarding MerCruiser serial number 0M314434. You should be able to run VesselView Mobile on just one of the engines as long as you set it up for single engine usage through the app. We recommend plugging it into an open port on the junction box for that engine, if you have a junction box as shown below. You may already have some of the components shown. I have attached the install guide for the module for you to review as well. Please see the other attachment for proper rigging for a twin engine application. If not already done, you will need an authorized dealer to plug into the port engine to assign the ECM as a port engine in order to see both’s engines’ data in the app.

They also provide instructions that I attached.

Attachments

• VesselView Mobile Module.pdf
    716.2 KB · Views: 75
I spoke, once again, these are the components needed for the twin 8.1engine.

From merc direct
Instructions in email
May 31 22

1 vessel view mobile

1- Dual engine adapter 892323T01

2- j box 8M0165557

1- can link harness 891957K01

2- Can harness cables 879981T10

This is the installation instructions for the 8.1

Attachments

• VV Mobile Twin Engine Helm Rigging - 5-way Jboxes.jpg
    VV Mobile Twin Engine Helm Rigging - 5-way Jboxes.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 74
I ran it on one engine this past weekend, awesome, total value added. I am just buying one more for the other engine rather than all the expense and labour for the twin part set up. Just going to use two android phones.

dflaherty10912

I have a 2016 8.2 mag. I installed Vessel View behind the electronics in the helm to provide data using NMEA2000 to my Simrad Evo 3 9" display. Now, so much data available to read and it was easy to install. I especially like knowing important engine details at a glance, and know what my steering angle is and how the bravo3x is reacting during low speed maneuvers, i.e., docking, navigating tight spots! The steering control sensitivity reading can be adjusted to your preference.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Awesome thread. I was unaware of Vessel View until today. Looks like a fantastic add on. Thanks.

This the information that is available. You can configure pages to suit your needs.

Set up Vessel view
Rpm
Coolant temp
Battery
Speed
Fuel
Current fuel flow
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Coolant pressure
Sea temp
Hours
Total fuel flow Lph

This is how I configured my setup

Page 1(need to know)
RPM
Coolant temp
Sea temp
Oil temp

Page 2(flip page if a problem develops)
Coolant pressure
Oil pressure
Battery
Speed

Page 3(nice to know information)
Current fuel flow
Total fuel flow Lph
Fuel
Hours

LAKETIME

I've installed VesselView on my 2004 Sunesta 252, on my new iPhone and new iPad. Although it looks promising, it is still 'buggy' on both devices.
For some reason, it won't show RPM, or fuel burn rate/consumption. I've talked to Jim at Mercury Marine, in Fond du Lac, and after considerable trouble-shooting, no solution could be immediately found. We will be following up...

Bjskier

I am trying to install VesselView in my 06 256SSI with 5.7 Mag MPI but cannot find the connector to plug into. Any know where it is? I found a connector labeled CAN on the port rear corner but it did not have either red or yellow terminator and only had 5 wires . VV has 6. any ideas??

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • SNs.jpg
    SNs.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 69

Bjskier

This is from Mercury customer service

I have twin 8.1 v drives. I have two questions, 2003

1 I am having trouble with one tachometer. I need to transport the boat home. It is possible to use the vessel view mobile on one engine only such that I have a tach for the trip home?

2, what parts do I need to install on both engines? When I get home I plan to complete the installation.

Hello Rodney -

Thank you for contacting us regarding MerCruiser serial number 0M314434. You should be able to run VesselView Mobile on just one of the engines as long as you set it up for single engine usage through the app. We recommend plugging it into an open port on the junction box for that engine, if you have a junction box as shown below. You may already have some of the components shown. I have attached the install guide for the module for you to review as well. Please see the other attachment for proper rigging for a twin engine application. If not already done, you will need an authorized dealer to plug into the port engine to assign the ECM as a port engine in order to see both’s engines’ data in the app.

They also provide instructions that I attached.
Would you share the contact info for Mercury?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
On my 8.1's it was on the back of the engine on the RH side. Plug was just hanging there.

Is your 8.1 a 496 mag by chance? That is what I have.

I ordered V V yesterday. It looks like it has screw holes for mounting the module. Did you use screws or are there other options? I hate the thought of using screws. Where did you mount the device? A pic if you don't mind sure would be appreciated.

Yes, it's a 496 correct. I can get a picture this weekend. I just Wire tied it. Figured it would be nice to be able to pull it off quick such that you could assist other boater if needed.

I am installing a second one this weekend on the other engine. Going to trun two android phones mounted at helm.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Sounds like a nice set up. While taking pics please take a couple of the way you mounted the phone(s) at the helm. Good idea. I'm also considering using an old iPad for a bigger screen if it is able to run the app. To often older iOS will not run newer apps.

LAKETIME

Hi
Is your 8.1 a 496 mag by chance? That is what I have.

I ordered V V yesterday. It looks like it has screw holes for mounting the module. Did you use screws or are there other options? I hate the thought of using screws. Where did you mount the device? A pic if you don't mind sure would be appreciated.
Hi, Doc,
Those screw holes that you describe can be used for mounting the device away from the engine, such as near the helm. This would require as cable of suitable length and maybe a junction box, both of which can be ordered from Mercury Marine. It probably would be best to talk to the reps at Mercury, if you decide to do that. They are available and quite helpful. :cool:

Bjskier

Success!! My is engine 2005 5.7 Mag MPI There was a purple weather cap on the SmartCraft port rather than a terminator. Plugged my VV into that plug and a yellow terminator I bought into the pigtail and all worked. Now I have to figure out how to use it. The primary items I am looking for is RPM and fuel usage. Plug was in Port rear corner of engine

Attachments

• 20220615_130340.jpg
    20220615_130340.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 59
  • plug location.jpg
    plug location.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 62