My Girl, Show & Tell

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Outside in their natural habitat, OK. We had one in our house years ago, not cool

Phillbo

Sometimes if you are real calm it's hard to tell where the rock ends and the water starts.... you can feel like you are floating on air.....
reflection 2.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I always liked pictures like that.
I remember when I was boating on your lake. It was hard to distinguish the closer mountain from the distant one, it looked like it was just one long mountain, until you got up closer and found that there was a channel between them.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

At sunset they come out... Cool to watch. We don't do night cruises. Lake Powell is not a lake you want to try to navigate in the dark. On the hook and secure by 4pm is my approach..

Phillbo

IMHO.. I like the before better. That arch is too boxy and just another thing for me to ding my head on.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
IMHO.. I like the before better. That arch is too boxy and just another thing for me to ding my head on.
Ya, My one friend that was the templet for the height of it, calls it my picnic basket, and he is 6ft 7in, so if you are that tall, yes you will bang your noggin on it. I somewhat agree on the looks, but for me the function and purpose out weighs the looks.
It is the base for all my canvas. When I set it up using the canvas in the 2nd picture, it gives me a room that is, 6ft 7in high by 6ft wide by 10ft long. The 3rd one is for fishing in bad weather or if I need something put up quick. All of my canvas will interchange. Depending on the length of stay and what I am doing determines what I put up.
IMG_5411.JPG
IMG_3290.JPG
IMG_8968.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have to agree, the head banger is awesome for the canvas. And at 6'7" it's really not a head banger.
I've been on boats with it right at or less than 6' ...true headbangers. Ouch.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Do you mean you installed new teak or just new equipment?

If the weather is good this spring, I plan on oiling my teak. The last time I did that was probably 2010. It has held up really well. The rear railing I've touched up randomly.
Hey Dan, you need to post some photos when you get it done. I'm having my teak taffrails at the rear plus 2 upper step pads and the swim platform dipped, and I too will be oiling this time.
I had to step away and was unable to finish the post and somehow did not delete the it, so I will do it now.

My girls newest addition. I thought that I would dress up her teak. So it was off with the old and on with the new. It actually is off of a boat that was made in the 60"s. Then it ended up on a bar wall, and then on E-bay. And now full circle, back on a boat.
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

SST

If you have teak on your boat you gotta take care of it cuz its difficult to find. I was told long ago that teak comes from Asia [don't remember the specific area]. When I went looking for new teak, couldn't find any in my area. Not even the specialty wood companies knew. I did find a place but it was nearly 100 miles away and the cost for it was a lot.

Denny, that is a nice find. Reminds me of the intro to the tv series Gilligan's Island. Avoid the weather getting rough tho.(y)

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If you have teak on your boat you gotta take care of it cuz its difficult to find. I was told long ago that teak comes from Asia [don't remember the specific area]. When I went looking for new teak, couldn't find any in my area. Not even the specialty wood companies knew. I did find a place but it was nearly 100 miles away and the cost for it was a lot.

Denny, that is a nice find. Reminds me of the intro to the tv series Gilligan's Island. Avoid the weather getting rough tho.(y)
Yeah, teak is costly. I have a hard wood place next to my building and he uses mahogany in place of teak. He says teak is hard to cut because of the sand that is imbedded in it, because it tears up his blades.

SST

Floating wood vs teak wood. I don't really like those floating timbers of wood. They tend to bend things on contact.
IMG_1391.JPG

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I known what you mean, that is one of the reason I don't like boating at night. One other thing that is bad, are the floating submarines, that are about 1ft under the surface.
And by the way your teak for being 30 some years old, looks to be in pretty good shape.

SST

I known what you mean, that is one of the reason I don't like boating at night. One other thing that is bad, are the floating submarines, that are about 1ft under the surface.
And by the way your teak for being 30 some years old, looks to be in pretty good shape.
While we are still on the topic of teak, I have begun to notice that the railing, in heavily trafficed areas, is starting to loosen up. Mostly where I climb over the railing to and from the platform. Movement is less then 1/2mm. What is the best way to re-tighten them? It doesn't look easy.

Phillbo

On Powell it's not the floating wood that is an issue but the rock formations that lurk just under the water as the lake level changes. I've been on the lake so long I know the areas to avoid. Also, NEVER go near or try to retrieve a milk jug out of the water. It's what people use to mark the "whales".....
061514.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Where exactly is it loose? Is it on the port or star side railings and is it at the front or rear of the railings? Or is it on the rear railings where they come together at the tow bar?