My Girl, Show & Tell

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
On Powell it's not the floating wood that is an issue but the rock formations that lurk just under the water as the lake level changes. I've been on the lake so long I know the areas to avoid. Also, NEVER go near or try to retrieve a milk jug out of the water. It's what people use to mark the "whales".....
View attachment 878
My friend that use to boat on Lake Mead told me stories about boaters hooking up with some of those Whales.
Wow, talk about high and dry, and not to mention the sudden stop, it is not like beaching your boat.

SST

Every time I look at photos like this, I always wonder what it must have looked like when it was the inland ocean. And then I think "What Lies beneath."

1611861923835.png

SST

On Powell it's not the floating wood that is an issue but the rock formations that lurk just under the water as the lake level changes. I've been on the lake so long I know the areas to avoid. Also, NEVER go near or try to retrieve a milk jug out of the water. It's what people use to mark the "whales".....
View attachment 878
An example of what is below that matches where the boater hit.
1611862036335.png

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
What are these 'Whales' you are talking about?
On the Ohio River I'll see floating milk jugs, normally with chicken livers or some other appetizing treat used to lure in the big turtles.

Phillbo

Underwater rock formations that are sticking up and at the right water level can be just below the surface and very hard to see... In the spring when the water level comes up the island in the foreground is just barely below the surface and has dinged may props...
castlerocklp.jpg

• Wow

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
:wow: That could sure ruin a fun day of boating. It could take out the whole lower unit.. :eek:

We have trees that get stuck on the bottom at an angle so part of the tree sticks up near the top or over the top of the water. They are impossible to see. Often someone will attach a small old life jacket to them to aid other boaters in seeing the danger.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Underwater rock formations that are sticking up and at the right water level can be just below the surface and very hard to see... In the spring when the water level comes up the island in the foreground is just barely below the surface and has dinged may props...View attachment 882
Back in the day, when water levels were higher, that little island would have been some 40ft under the surface.
It is unbelievable how much water you guys have lost out there.:cry:

• Sad

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
On days that are warm and dry I like to look over the windshield, I either stand or if it is a long ride I like to sit.
On days that are not so nice, with this top I have to look through the windshield, and I had to lower the seat by pulling this pin which wasn't so bad, but putting it back up was a pain, the seat weighs 35lbs.
I have this power pedestal, now I can raise and lower the seat to any height that I need.
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I love all the pictures that you have posted, and I too have a collection of many of the western lakes that I have had the pleasure of being on. The thing that hits me every single time that I have been there, or see a picture, is wow that is what that area looked like when it was under water that you never got to see from the surface.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
That is a sweet add on Denny. I had bolster seats in my Sunsation and that worked well for allowing me to stand when I wanted (most of the time) or sit. Your came up with a solution I've never seen on any other boat. Great job!!!!! A true power seat. :thumb: :tiphat:

Phillbo

Pleasant Harbor Marina..... I avoid that lake like the plague. Too many drunk west siders..... And cops.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
That is a sweet add on Denny. I had bolster seats in my Sunsation and that worked well for allowing me to stand when I wanted (most of the time) or sit. Your came up with a solution I've never seen on any other boat. Great job!!!!! A true power seat. :thumb: :tiphat:

Pleasant Harbor Marina..... I avoid that lake like the plague. Too many drunk west siders..... And cops.
We always go mid-week whenever we go on any of the lakes, usually have it to ourselves, other then fishermen.
Pack a lunch, rent a pontoon boat and just puts along.
IMG_7913.JPG

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I change seat positions a lot and it was way too much work, so I searched the web, and found this. There are a lot of people that sell them, but there is only one company that manufactures them, they have a corner on the market.

Phillbo

188 Bridge over Roosevelt Lake is my favorite bridge in the state. Here it is from another angle while on a dirt bike ride.
roosevelt lake.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It was 15 degrees out today, sure could use a little of that sun and warm air.
According to my weather app, it said that Phoenix was 70 degrees today.

Phillbo

We actually hit 82* the last couple days... Forecasted to be in the 70's for a while.

This is the prime time for our tourist industry but it's being killed by Covid. The Phoenix Open golf tourney starts today and typically draws close to 200 thousand people each day. This year they are limiting attendance to 5000 each day. BIG hit to the charity event. All the auto auctions are being canceled or delayed as well..

This is where famous sport stars come to get DUI's this time of year...

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
My son calls it the worlds largest traffic jam.
I have played there a couple of times, and there is no easy way in or out of there.

Phillbo

Nothing but Posers but it's good for the economy.... One of the largest sporting events in the world. 16th hole is usually 3 levels high. this year only one. Usually 32 venues for food and booze, this year 2....

I'm more disappointed in having to miss the Barret Jackson Gala event.