Pictures of your boats

jsather007

Nice find, $250 what all did and does she need, did she run when you got her? Looks like she cleaned up pretty well.
Denny,

It was donated to some charity and sold through one of the large online auction sites (Copart) so after fees and everything my out the door was closer to $500 I think. I was lucky and the winterization tag was still hanging of the winch when I picked it up.

First year I drained all the fuel and fluids and went through the mechanicals. Gave it a standard engine tune up and did a full impeller kit (with housing etc...) and lube change. New battery and it was ready for 2019. Also went through the trailer and did all new tires, bearings and full brake replacements.

Last spring I did a teak swim platform restoration project with my daughter (posted it on that "other" site) and added that full width platform. Before attaching that I went after the transom gel coat (sand/buff/polish) and got that shined up the best it could be. I added the wake tower shortly after.

Next in line?:
- install the SteadyPass gps speed control that I ordered about a week ago (very excited for this!). This will for sure be done for the 2021 season.
- go after the rest of the gel coat and bring it back to a shine.
- update the layout of the interior. Remove the fold down front/back seating, add a sun pad with storage under and do full wrap around seating. I know it will take away from the vintage looks of it but this boat is here for heavy use for us. I got it to keep the kids off the electronics and out on the water.
- redo the trailer. It is rusty in spots and deserves a new shine.

I suppose I could go on and on, is the list ever complete?

Jerry

Sneak peak, here is my next project that should be in the mail soon:

black-and-white-a.jpg

SteadyPassKit.JPG

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
$250!!! :wow: Best boat buy ever!!!!!
My brothers was very similar. Red where your lighter blue is and black trim. His swim platform when all the way across the back. But it was an open bow. We would load it up with our kids and his kids an 4 adults and off we'd go for the day. What fun. :D I'll try to find a pic or two of his boat.

jsather007

$250!!! :wow: Best boat buy ever!!!!!
My brothers was very similar. Red where your lighter blue is and black trim. His swim platform when all the way across the back. But it was an open bow. We would load it up with our kids and his kids an 4 adults and off we'd go for the day. What fun. :D I'll try to find a pic or two of his boat.
If you could post up some pics that would be great. Always nice to see some of the older boats out in their glory.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Here is a pic of my four winns and my brothers 198 Chaparral. Will try to find better pics but so far this is all I found.

ChaparralAnForuWinnsAtDock.jpg

Phillbo

My first 'real' boat. I'd had a couple beater open bows before but this was the first cuddy I owned..... '97 Maxum2300SC. Sold it to a good friend so i still get out on it on occasion. At 6'4" it was just too tight for me.
016_15.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
NICE!!!!

I was real close to buiying a new Maxum in the mid 90's. I decided not to pull the trigger at that time. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the water. Are they still making them?

Phillbo

Nope. Current boat is a Maxum as well. I think they put out a good product but they were bought by Brunswick and then discontinued since they competed with the Bayliner and SeaRay product line.

Maxums are very roomy compared to a SeaRay were I always feel like I'm banging my head or knees on something all the time.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It's your girl you can dress her anyway you like. When they are that old most will be unaware of the changes.
I posted my 50 Mercury one time, and somebody answered, what is that.
Would like to see how you did the swim platform, if you could post a picture of it.
It sounds like you have brought back an old girl to life, good on you, as a friend of mine says.

jsather007

It's your girl you can dress her anyway you like. When they are that old most will be unaware of the changes.
I posted my 50 Mercury one time, and somebody answered, what is that.
Would like to see how you did the swim platform, if you could post a picture of it.
It sounds like you have brought back an old girl to life, good on you, as a friend of mine says.
The swim platform was an old one I picked up from a boat scrapper. It was a mess, the attachment points for the ladder and assist handles were raised about 1/16" of more above the rest of the teak as there had been so much wear over the years. I just handed the sander to my daughter and told her to go to town, we had nothing to lose. I was really happy with the TotalBoat teak refinishing kit. Was simple to use and worked great!

I wanted full access to the platform at all times so I used an under mount 3 step ladder and added a grab handle to the transom. Worked great all year.

I uploaded a time lapse to YouTube of the project. I had no real idea what I was doing with the YouTube video, so be easy on me. :) (Click here) Teak Swim Platform Time Lapse.

20200523_121933.jpg

20200523_122051 (1).jpg

20200525_160536.jpg

20200703_061359.jpg

SST

Nice job. Mine is similar to yours but more rectangular but the design is the same.

At my previous marina, there was a constant problem with other boaters feeding the birds. Because my platform sits so low to the water, it was easy for all the birds to climb aboard for the night. In the morning they'd leave a ton of crap on the platform. Over a short period of time, the teak gives way and begins to disintegrate and the poop would eat into the teak. All that work ruined. Eventually I had to buy plastic bird spikes to keep the birds off. They are very effective and clearly piss the birds off. If you have a slip at a marina, pay attention to bird activity and your platform.
1612298171547.png

jsather007

Nice job. Mine is similar to yours but more rectangular but the design is the same.

At my previous marina, there was a constant problem with other boaters feeding the birds. Because my platform sits so low to the water, it was easy for all the birds to climb aboard for the night. In the morning they'd leave a ton of crap on the platform. Over a short period of time, the teak gives way and begins to disintegrate and the poop would eat into the teak. All that work ruined. Eventually I had to buy plastic bird spikes to keep the birds off. They are very effective and clearly piss the birds off. If you have a slip at a marina, pay attention to bird activity and your platform.

My boat is small enough for me to keep it trailered so I'm lucky to not have that issue to deal with. Many times I wish I could just drive out the marina and jump on though! On the other hand it sure is nice to be able to explore so many different bodies of water around these parts.

Another solution, stop feeding the d""m birds! I suppose the other boaters don't mind too much, since your boat seems to take the brunt of the downside. :(?:poop:

SST

Mine wasn't the only boat that got "attached" by the birds [Canadian Geese and ducks]. Many low riding platforms had deposits made on them as well. Usually the higher platforms lucked out.

I did start to complain about it. Eventually I threatened management that if anymore poop shows up on my boat, I'll scoop it up and fling it all over the bird feeders boat. I wanted them to experience having to clean up after the birds as a result of their feeding them. I never actually followed through on that threat because I moved the boat to another marina. For the first couple of years there were no bird problems and I didn't see anybody feeding the birds. I was happy and left the spikes at home. But last year a new boater was in our channel and fed the birds. Then the boaters across the channel started as well. Shortly thereafter the birds came home and pooped again. I had to bring the spikes back.

My platform took a beating last year. I did a light sanding and coating on it. I didn't feel like taking it off the boat. All the sealed bolts on the stern are working nicely so I didn't want to disturb them. But before I put the boat in this coming season, I'll remove the platform and give it a better repair.

Here's looking to the upcoming season

IMG_3125.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
So I went looking for the ole Baja. Could not find it but I found this one. Put a deposit on it today. :D It is the same year but 3 feet longer. It's a force 265

17.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
So I went looking for the ole Baja. Could not find it but I found this one. Put a deposit on it today. :D It is the same year but 3 feet longer. It's a force 265

View attachment 918
Bigger, just means that there is more to love, She looks like she is going somewhere, just sitting there. Does she look that good up close and personal? How is the interior? Love to see some pictures, when you have time.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Bigger, just means that there is more to love, She looks like she is going somewhere, just sitting there. Does she look that good up close and personal? How is the interior? Love to see some pictures, when you have time.
I have not seen it in person yet. Talked with owner a good bit and I've seen more pics but ..until I go, look it over and bring it home I won't share more pics. It's 8 hours away from me and I will not tow it while it's freezing out or snowing out. Forecast for next 10 days is COLD. Temps in the 20's and snow a few days. So it will be at least a couple weeks before I can show off more pics.

Phillbo

I'll rub it in..... Forecast is in the 70's for the next couple weeks :)

I'll be on the beach in mexico next weekend enjoying some cold ones after competing in a dirt bike race.