Pictures of your boats

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Ohio river sounds like it would be fun to explore.

The Ottawa extends from Lake Temiskaming in Northern Ontario all the way to the St.Lawrence in the east. There are a number of hydro and flow control dams along the way but no locks. At one time there were contractors subsidized by Tourism Canada with hydraulic lift marine trailers who could take you around the dams for a price if you radioed ahead. I think they still exist but I can’t swear to that.

Our section is bordered by two hydro dams and has (I think) the nicest sand beaches along the entire length (~73km or 45 mi ... so similar to your area). The rest is pure wilderness with rocks and trees to the water’s edge in a lot of places or private property. I think the total navigable length is about 468 kms (~300 miles). And if you can get downstream to Ottawa and into the Rideau canal, then you can get into Lake Ontario at Kingston and just keep going.
Sounds truly beautiful. :clap: :clap:

Phillbo

If you aren't happy with your negative side, I'll trade you mine for as long as you like. LOL
She sure looks pretty setting on her trailer, not to mention no wind and blue skies.
What is it, about 60 degrees during the day?
I have a son that lives in Phoenix, so I keep tabs on your weather and I know that you have some 40's, which to you is like our 20's and 30's. How long is your layoff from boating in the winter?
I had a friend that lived in Vegas and he spent one Christmas day on his boat on Lake Mead when it was 80degrees. Maybe I can get a look at your girl when I come out. Denny
I live in Scottsdale ( 70's all week ) but the boat is at Lake Powell ( 40's all week ).... I pretty much boat year around but not as much this time of year. I spent 2 days on her a couple weeks ago doing maintenance. My down time is during the summer. Too many yahoos with new wake boats to ruin the experience so we only go up if friends are making a trip. Feb-June and Sept - Nov is our prime time on the lake.

Took this picture last time I was up, I pretty much owned the lake since most of the facilities are closed this time of year:

castlerocklp.jpg

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I live in Scottsdale ( 70's all week ) but the boat is at Lake Powell ( 40's all week ).... I pretty much boat year around but not as much this time of year. I spent 2 days on her a couple weeks ago doing maintenance. My down time is during the summer. Too many yahoos with new wake boats to ruin the experience so we only go up if friends are making a trip. Feb-June and Sept - Nov is our prime time on the lake.

Took this picture last time I was up, I pretty much owned the lake since most of the facilities are closed this time of year:

View attachment 810
Been on Lake Powell, pretty area, are your water levels still down about 40%?
Was on Lake Havasu with my son last year, was looking at a chart that showed an island, the island was not there, it is now a peninsula. Denny.

Phillbo

Yeah, the lakes are low. Need a good snow pack in the Rockies to bring them up... I've been boating on Powell since the early 70's. It was 100% full in the mid 80's. I prefer it at about 70% full, that is when the best canyons and beaches are exposed.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Here we say, if you are waiting for good weather to do something, you will not be doing much.
And if you don't like the weather now, just wait 20 min, and it will change.
I have been on your lake on a Sunday at the height of the season, and I feel your pain. Denny.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, the lakes are low. Need a good snow pack in the Rockies to bring them up... I've been boating on Powell since the early 70's. It was 100% full in the mid 80's. I prefer it at about 70% full, that is when the best canyons and beaches are exposed.
When I was on Lake Mead in the spring of 2019 with my son, I guess you would call it back country, there was this little boat launch area. I remarked, if the lake was full, those people would be 40ft under water.
Our conversations here are, well the lakes are up or down 2ft this year.
You really don't get the real impact of things, unless you have 1st hand experience. Denny.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Someday, I would love to boat on Lake Powell or Lake Mead. I've seen boating pics of both and am in awe. So beautiful.

I'm 6 hours from Lake Cumberland KY and Dale Hollow TN. We have rented houseboats on both of these lakes and had a blast. Both are part of the TVA authority man made waterways. 100+ feet deep in most places. Thousands of coves to pull into and tie up for the night. Any other boaters on here go to these lakes?

Phillbo

I do have to top off on occasion at Dangling Rope Marina which is 40 miles up lake and the fuel has to be barged in..$5.00 + a gallon last time I visited.

• Wow

Sandbar

Thanks, does your river get crowed at times, and do you have to worry about incoming wakes when anchored out like that? Denny.
It can get tight in some of the narrow channels between the islands but there is plenty of water to play in through most of the navigable parts. It happens mostly on the weekends when the day boats come out. Plenty of young families with kids who come out and shake things up a bit during the day but by early evening they are gone home and we have entire beaches to ourselves for campfires, guitars and suitable adult beverages or just chatting and chilling.

As for depth, its typically 30-250 feet or more deep but some areas near the islands are shallow ~9-12 feet. Its well marked along the entire length but a set of charts (available at most of the marinas) or a chart plotter/gps do help. The markers are adjusted by the Canadian Coast Guard every spring because the ice tends to grab the chains and move them sometimes during the spring thaw and later in the summer they take up the slack as the water drops. At least with them doing that we can have confidence in their positioning.

Wakes during the day (and sometimes a sideways wind) can be a nuisance but it's like glass at night time when we’re sleeping. The wakes are usually pretty short-lived and benign especially if we set anchors fore and aft. I drop the bow anchor about 75-100’ offshore and set two aft to help with the swinging that can happen if the wind comes up.

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It can get tight in some of the narrow channels between the islands but there is plenty of water to play in through most of the navigable parts. It happens mostly on the weekends when the day boats come out. Plenty of young families with kids who come out and shake things up a bit during the day but by early evening they are gone home and we have entire beaches to ourselves for campfires, guitars and suitable adult beverages or just chatting and chilling.

As for depth, its typically 30-250 feet or more deep but some areas near the islands are shallow ~9-12 feet. Its well marked along the entire length but a set of charts (available at most of the marinas) or a chart plotter/gps do help. The markers are adjusted by the Canadian Coast Guard every spring because the ice tends to grab the chains and move them sometimes during the spring thaw and later in the summer they take up the slack as the water drops. At least with them doing that we can have confidence in their positioning.

Wakes during the day (and sometimes a sideways wind) can be a nuisance but it's like glass at night time when we’re sleeping. The wakes are usually pretty short-lived and benign especially if we set anchors fore and aft. I drop the bow anchor about 75-100’ offshore and set two aft to help with the swinging that can happen if the wind comes up.
Sounds like a really nice area with something for everyone. I am glade that you and yours are able to enjoy it. Denny

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Someday, I would love to boat on Lake Powell or Lake Mead. I've seen boating pics of both and am in awe. So beautiful.

I'm 6 hours from Lake Cumberland KY and Dale Hollow TN. We have rented houseboats on both of these lakes and had a blast. Both are part of the TVA authority man made waterways. 100+ feet deep in most places. Thousands of coves to pull into and tie up for the night. Any other boaters on here go to these lakes?
The key to that is to have one of your children that still loves you move out there. Denny.

Phillbo

The key to that is to have one of your children that still loves you move out there. Denny.
Or get a bunch of friends and family together and rent a houseboat for a week.... I can help to make sure you rent the right boats and see the best sights.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have heard a lot about your area and seen pictures and videos of it and thought it would be nice to see and boat it.
The closest I have come, is to visit Cumberland Falls and get a piece of coal from the river.
Took it home and made a magnet out of it for the refrigerator, and told my children, now you have something that is actually from the area, unlike the things in the gift shop. Denny

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Or get a bunch of friends and family together and rent a houseboat for a week.... I can help to make sure you rent the right boats and see the best sights.
Can you still get to the Rainbow Bridge by boat? Denny.

Phillbo

Oh yes. Rainbow Bridge will always be accessible by boat. You just need to walk a little further now. 1.5 miles round trip.

When the lake was at full pool you could boat right up to the base of the bridge. We never did due to respect for the Native Americans. They believe you disturb a spirit if you walk under any of the arches. It's their land and I respect that.

You can see the channel (empty) in this picture..
37818405906_55739b6105_b.jpg

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
When we were there, we only viewed it from a distance, and did not go under it.
The only issue we had was the other boats and their large wakes, in the narrow passages, talk about the lack of boating courtesy and knowledge. I was glad that we had rented a deck boat.
Eastern boating and Western boating, at that time were worlds apart, not sure how it is now. Denny.

Phillbo

Not sure when you were on the lake but Forbidding Canyon is now a no wake zone... But yes, we have our share of azzholes who do not respect their wakes.... I could go on for hours...

but instead
cathedral in the desert.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Not sure when you were on the lake but Forbidding Canyon is now a no wake zone... But yes, we have our share of azzholes who do not respect their wakes.... I could go on for hours...

but insteadView attachment 813
Words can not describe this picture, you have to be there to experience it.
Is this on the way to the Rainbow Bridge? I remember going through a narrow maze to get to it.
It has to be 20 years since we visited the Bridge, the water was a lot higher then.
I remember going down dead end canyons, and having to turn around, even with a GPS, we still got lost. LOL
That lake is one big beautiful maze.
What I have learned about those lakes that I have had the pleasure to have boated on, right or wrong I always gave way.
It is like a war zone, and it is every man for himself.
Of all the times that I boated out there, I have never seen a boater, help another boater, and I am sure that there are exceptions.
Boating on the western lakes is a whole new world, The Great Lakes are so vast with no boundaries, except they will not let me boat in Canada.
1610000638098.png
:cry:
The number one thing about boating out west, is the beauty of it. Denny.

Last edited: