My Girl, Show & Tell

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
In the past I have boated on some very uncomfortable cool late nights. I ran across an article that advertised a heater for wake board boaters (etc) that ran off of the engine hot water. So I checked into it. I liked the idea; however the heater box they offered would not disperse the air in the way that would be efficient for my needs. They sold me the hardware without the box, and I designed my own. I put 2 car heater cores in it, which gave my more volume then theirs, and an automotive squirrel cage type circulating fan. One vent is aimed up at the helm seat, and the other 2 to the port side. So there is a wall of warm air coming up in the front of the cock pit area, just enough to take the chill off, kind of like riding in a convertible with the top down and the heater on. With the bimini and front curtains up it is real toastie.

0902142027a.jpg
0909141923b.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Small quiz, for those who might want to participate in figuring out what I needed to do to be able to install a home heater & A/C in my girl. I know that there are some of you that have the answers, it would be neat to see how many.
Just something to help pass the winter for those that have to wait for the ice to melt.
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG

Reactions: Doc

SST

Seeing as how you don't have a slip, I therefore assume you'll be inserting this into the boat somewhere. The biggest challenge I see is getting the heated air out of the boat.

Modify your boat cover so that the unit can be place through it. Construct a portable stand [anchorable to the deck] and place the a/c unit on the stand such that the unit fits through the cover's modification [Velcro flap]. This will allow the hot air to be vented overboard and the cold air stays inside. I see this as the least way of modifying the boat or the a/c unit [Drilling holes, running wires and hoses]. But looking at various pictures of your boat, you like to be creative!

I'll be watching. :)

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Seeing as how you don't have a slip, I therefore assume you'll be inserting this into the boat somewhere. The biggest challenge I see is getting the heated air out of the boat.

Modify your boat cover so that the unit can be place through it. Construct a portable stand [anchorable to the deck] and place the a/c unit on the stand such that the unit fits through the cover's modification [Velcro flap]. This will allow the hot air to be vented overboard and the cold air stays inside. I see this as the least way of modifying the boat or the a/c unit [Drilling holes, running wires and hoses]. But looking at various pictures of your boat, you like to be creative!

I'll be watching. :)
Her e is another part to the puzzle. I can operate the unit while out on the hook with my Honda 2000 generator.
Here is where it is mounted.
IMG_1770.JPG

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Here is another hint

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
For most of the years I had this portable heater. I then got the idea of having one that was permanent. I was not looking to put in A/C, but it was a dual purpose unit. So with a winter of experimentation, advice, and help I was able to put it together. The whole thing in a nut shell was to, remove the rear condenser, build a new box to put the back to back seats on, build a box to put the rear condenser in, seal it, and pump sea water through the box, to either cool it down or warm it up. With my 2 heater arrangements, I have added 2 more months to my boating season. At 45 degrees out and using this top configuration for fishing, we are very comfortable at 70 degrees inside.
IMG_2710.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_5948.JPG

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Back in my early days I could walk the tongue of my trailer with ease, but as I got older I was not so sure footed. So I added a platform. I have never had to walk in the water to launch or retrieve any of my boats.

Also as years went on it was becoming harder and harder for me to turn the winch handle, so I added an electric winch.
1617505270366.png

SST

Being that I haven't achieved the ability to walk on water [Happy Easter to all] I still have to walk in it. If I'm on my own, I walk in the water to launch and retrieve. If somebody is with me, I can unhook the winch before backing down the ramp [bunks, not rollers] and float the boat while somebody else holds the lines. So far, I don't mind getting my feet wet and I still have the ability to winch. Although, this year, I need to get back to the gym to be prepped to handle the boat.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Being that I haven't achieved the ability to walk on water [Happy Easter to all] I still have to walk in it. If I'm on my own, I walk in the water to launch and retrieve. If somebody is with me, I can unhook the winch before backing down the ramp [bunks, not rollers] and float the boat while somebody else holds the lines. So far, I don't mind getting my feet wet and I still have the ability to winch. Although, this year, I need to get back to the gym to be prepped to handle the boat.
I still get enough daily exercise through doing the things that I do. I thought about an exercise program, but then I thought that, that is going to hurt, so I elected to save myself the pain.:thumbup:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I finally parked the trailers. both boats. & only do the floating docks. 1 day I realized I am old. :)
I don't gauge age by numbers, I gauge it by a collection of memories.
I do not dwell on what is broke, I look at what I have left, and make it work.
You are not old, you just made an adjustment so you can continue doing what you enjoy.

All of the up grades I have added to my girl has aloud me to continue to boat totally by myself if I choose, just as I have, ever since I bought her in 1992. With some of the additions I have added, it has lengthen my seasonal boating by 2 months.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
This is what my little 7'-11" inflatable originally looked like when I first got it.
1617563344462.png

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It has it's own home, and this is how I get it down on to my girl.
1617566885738.png

1617567034635.png
1617567263376.png
1617567519121.png

cyclops2

Bingo Denny

I am old by numbers. But a lot of my last year moans & slowdowns were from a molar gum line infection and a recent double weather front air pressure attack. Dentist put me on Amoxicillin & I am looking at cheerleaders. Sort of. My entire body is doing a complete recovery. I did 6 of my own delayed projects in 2 hours. WAAHOOO Life is good again. :smile4:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well, as I stated in the very beginning, if there is no one else talking about their girl, you will be hearing about mine a lot. I have pretty much covered it, probable a few small things I have not posted, like pair of Hadley trumpet air horns, that sound like The Queen Mary. I am going to start my 30th year with her this season. I have kept a log since day 1 of all costs including the purchase of her, and it is less than the price of a new one her size today. If anyone is interested in some stats let me know. If not I have had a great time with this thread telling you about my girl. Right now she has 1842hrs on her.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Bingo Denny

I am old by numbers. But a lot of my last year moans & slowdowns were from a molar gum line infection and a recent double weather front air pressure attack. Dentist put me on Amoxicillin & I am looking at cheerleaders. Sort of. My entire body is doing a complete recovery. I did 6 of my own delayed projects in 2 hours. WAAHOOO Life is good again. :smile4:
It is called mind over mater, if you don't mind, it don't mater.
Keep smiling and looking forward, you still have a lot of fish to catch.:boxing:

cyclops2

The bats are annoying but they can fly in total darkness and not get in your hair. IF IF the bugs do not get into your hair. We carry a pair of thick winter gloves & scissors to cut the bats free. 1st time was a disaster of pure panic. Then we read up about bats at night & hairy heads.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The bats are annoying but they can fly in total darkness and not get in your hair. IF IF the bugs do not get into your hair. We carry a pair of thick winter gloves & scissors to cut the bats free. 1st time was a disaster of pure panic. Then we read up about bats at night & hairy heads.
No bats with boating, had one in the house years ago, like you say, the fear of the unknown.

unplugged

My 4 girls. Can you guess which one is the most expensive? Lol

Attachments

• 273C4603-D2CD-47D5-959D-1DC1C0D0B48A.jpeg
    273C4603-D2CD-47D5-959D-1DC1C0D0B48A.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 108
  • A1561F88-4DE9-41FA-8472-0FBA99C1FA85.jpeg
    A1561F88-4DE9-41FA-8472-0FBA99C1FA85.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 108